Saturday, October 5, 2013

5 changes that will make the Covered California (Calheers.ca,gov) site better instantly

I spent about 30 minutes today to try and sign up for Covered California. Sort of a eat my own dogfood type of effort. Immediately I noticed some really big things that will turn even the most eager users off. I am writing this post so that maybe they will pay attention and make some changes. 

The overarching message here is: "Keep the user in mind". 

To set the stage, I'm a married man in my mid-30s who currently has health insurance through Kaiser Permanente. I work in the technology sector.

I tried about 12 times using the chrome browser to get the login page to load and each time I was greeted with this message: 


Clicking on the link did nothing.

After 12 attempts I switched over to Internet Explorer 10 and was finally able to sign up and login. 

The sign up process was relatively simple with the exception of the fact that it asked me for my SSN without ensuring me that it would stay safe in their hands. I was able to skip this field during the signup process so that was good.

The username has to be 8 characters long which is in my opinion a point of friction and will cause the form to produce and error for 1/2 the people who try to sign up. Why not do a quick edit check with Javascript and let the person know right away before they have to submit the form and see the error? 

Anyway, I then tried to login and got a 404 not found page. I refreshed 2 times and got the login screen which asked me for 5 answers to secret question. As soon as I selected those, it crashed and made me login again. That I will forgive because it is a new site and they're still working out the bugs. But the secret question thing .... it should be optional IMO. 



Then I tried to actually Apply for a plan. That's when things got really ugly. I cannot proceed in this form without providing them with my SSN and Naturalization documentation. WHAT?!! Why do you need these just to show me what plans I qualify for and how much they will be? Why at this stage? And again, I don't feel safe entering my SSN in your 404-Not-Found website just yet, so unless you're gonna make me feel safe with my information with a robust website, then don't ask me this stuff until I'm ready to commit. I can't even navigate directly to www.calheers.ca.gov ... What is v.calheers.ca.gov? You have to know that this is confusing your users. You have to know that I may not be interested in the plans once I see them, so having given you a bunch of information during the shopping stage is just going to drive users away. I would love to see the bounce rates of this page. Let me guess, 100%. 



And really, what is with all the different branding? Are you trying to make me suspicious of you? There is healthcare.gov, that takes me to coveredca.com, that takes me to v.calheers.ca.gov which has the title AHBX portal. How is that user friendly?

But don't worry, CoveredCA. I'm not all negative feedback. I actually have some very simple solutions to make this easier for you:


1) Pick a web domain and stick with it. CoveredCa.com makes sense since people have been hearing it.

2) Allow the user to enter non-personal information and arrive at a quote with details. Then if and only if he chooses to select the plan, make him verify all you want.

3) At least try to have the styling of your site match Healthcare.gov in some meaningful way. Users like continuity, it builds trust.

4) If you want me to enter my SSN and DOB and other identity information ensure me that it's going to be safe somehow. 

5) This initiative already has enough barriers, if I am having trouble using the system, you can be sure that my mother is definitely going to have issues. Things like browser compatibility, Http routing errors, general performance, and post submit error checking are only going to add friction to the process. As it stands right now, I cannot imagine you'll have many people complete the application process, much less sign up for coverage. Glad to help. 









12 comments:

  1. Love it Tan....You're awesome!!! You tell em!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. & Then there's this:

    v.calheers.ca.gov uses an invalid security certificate.
    The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
    The certificate is only valid for pdcvpmw006.calheers.local
    (Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)

    GOOD TIMES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good feedback. Will pass it on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent observations ! Anyone getting site certificate warnings from google chrome ? should i worry ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two months after post by Alex above, still this same message:

    This Connection is Untrusted

    You have asked Firefox to connect securely to v.calheers.ca.gov, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

    Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
    What Should I Do?

    If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

    v.calheers.ca.gov uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed. The certificate is only valid for pdcvpmw006.calheers.local (Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)

    If you understand what's going on, you can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification. Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is tampering with your connection.

    Don't add an exception unless you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would add though that the error did *not* appear earlier in the day when I signed up for the site. It appeared when I tried to log in near midnight. And so my guess is, some kind of maintenance at that hour was forcing me onto a little-used server with a bad certificate. Anyway, I don't dare use the site until it comes up as valid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the 16th at 10:00 pm now, and I'm getting that security certificate error when I try to apply. for a health insurance policy. What is "calheers" anyway? What does it have to do with "coveredca"? Is this really one of those scam sites I've heard about?

    If this is really the official California health exchange website, it seems that this should be something they should be able to fix. If security certificates mean anything at all, what does it mean if the site you're supposed to trust with all your crucial information to can't get one working?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got the same certificate error. Afterwards was redirected to a maintenance website, like one of the previous posters. I'm not worried about it being legitimate. As the author says - continuity breeds trust - and I've had absolutely no luck successfully doing anything of consequence on the website, via email, live chat, or by phone. That's continuity for you.

    I really thought we'd do a better job here in california. And, honestly, I have faith that we will do better. But in the meantime, I'm grateful that I didn't cancel my overpriced cobra insurance (that I'm also grateful to have, btw) so I can casually sign up when things get settled.

    My condolences go out to those in the direst of needs that are running into the digital edition of a brick wall. Congratulations to those who have successfully signed up, and congratulations to those of us that have pre existing conditions and work entirely so that they can get the almighty insurance. Congratulations to the future small business owners of America. Unbeknownst to you & the signers of the Declaration of Independence, we've been set free. Go forth and do what thoust will, but do it without the fear that if you don't support yourself in the most traditional of ways, you & your famiy could die from something like the flu or an asthma attack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tried to sign up last night (the "deadline"). Every page took forever to load when it didn't crash. Took me three hours to actually get to the point where I had created a username and password.

    THOUGHT I had a couple of times but newp. Every time it crashed out I had to start all over again with the 2 minutes per page load waits. I must have entered a username that already existed because even though it appeared to accept the username I selected it wouldn't let me log in under that username but when I pressed "forgot password" it asked me what my favorite dog's color was (and I had not answered any security questions). So, back to square one.

    Several times I got screens that were obviously the result of javascript going nuts. I did screen caps for posterity.

    After the failed attempt to create a login account I tried calling the 877 number. Got a recording saying I had reached the "small business" line - even though I am trying to apply as an individual. Then it told me they were closed. Thanks for nothing.

    Next I tried calling the 800 number. Was pleased it wasn't busy. Got a recording saying "we are experiencing very heavy call volume." Thought I'd wait ... next recording said they were closed, please call back within normal business hours (8 am to 8 pm).

    Back to the web site. Finally selected a unique username apparently (avoided ObamaCareSucks, I figured that was taken) ... and was allowed to create an account after another half hour of re-entering the same data for the fifth time, then waiting 2 minutes for each page to load.

    Logged in, spent another hour navigating various screens that asked me for information about myself.

    Finally got to the citizenship page, said I was a naturalized citizen, it required my naturalization certificate number. Really? That's something everybody just has memorized, or lying around easy to find? Fortunately I had it in a file...

    Finally entered all the data and was told my application was pending because I had not proved I was a California resident. Not that I had actually been ASKED this mind you.

    But there was a helpful link to click and submit verification of residency.

    Except - THAT link led to an error page. Repeatedly.

    Went to sleep for a few hours, just woke up, tried to resume my fruitless effort to sign up, now I'm getting the warnings about the certificate.

    California, home to Silicon Valley, the heart of high tech.

    REALLY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, thank you for getting this info out there. My family was also recently completely screwed by the revamp of the CA Unemployment system. W T H !!!

      Delete
  10. Wow. That is a miserable experience. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi great blog...I am a Calif licensed life and heath agent who is also certified by CCA. This is some of the same issues as an agent that I am experience ... and more. calheers, and the their "call center reps" 30K to be accurate who are required to have nothing more than 24 mo office assistant to know about health insurance, tax info ,income, and to be technically able to-manage a platform that is glitchy at best .. In the insurance business all information has to be scrubbed and in good order. Covered Cal is one big cluster. I was sent 228 consumer applicants that were all started in Oct and Nov ...All with issues. I am still trying to resolve and put out fires with some of these cases. I can not get any support as a agent nor am I able to depend on the site to be accurate for my enrollments and applicant information that I can see. This is simple things like DOB SS # correct spelling of names etc.. When I speak to some one at CCA they see completely different information than I do in my portal. Which is very concerning as an agent. The carriers are still waiting for CCA to get ANY broker info on the applicants that they have received so far so that they know who to pay commission to. Agent's are paid by the carriers not CCA . I have contacted the DOI (Dept of Insurance) to inform them of these and other issues . The DOI ask that someone from CCA contract me as an agent with issues...it's been 1 mo am I'm still waiting . Further when the DOI followed up with their contact in Sacramento they straight up lied and said that they had tried to call and left a message. SO NOT TRUE.!!!!
    Here's the problem as I see it's pretty simple... There is NO accountability. This whole exchange is managed and run by Peter Lee CEO who is paid a very LARGE salary who coincidentally can not be contacted. You only hear from him through all of the media spots where is is saying how wonderful CCA is and how many applicants have already enrolled. Not the rest of the story...

    I do know that this state received $650 Million to set this exchange up and is supposed to be the role model for the rest of the US. Now that is a scarey thought... even more interesting....

    I discovered that "Getinsured" is the source of my enrolled applicants in my CCA portal.
    Below is the best screen shot I could get but it clearly states GETINSURED
    This information changes daily. Biggest change was reflected after the last system crash 2/14 .
    After looking deeper into who Getinsured is It was discovered that this is a splinter of Select Quote based out of San Francisco. CCA has some sort of contract with Getinsured who is nothing more than more call center in KS, GA and AZ. These call centers have brokers like myself who are taking calls to enroll CA applicants.
    . My question is why would Calif send CA consumers and business to brokers in other states??? There are over 7000 + agents licensed in this state alone and in my humble opinion the state allegiance should be to the agents in this state first and foremost.

    So far my experience has been nothing but a headache and having to fight for my commissions so that I can get paid for the work that I have done and continue doing on CCA behalf since Sept 2013. I feel so bad for the consumers because they are so confused.and can not get any help from CCA. I know this as they are calling because they can not get any answers from the CCA reps.
    I feel so helpless in getting any support even when I call CCA and wait for over 2 hrs I get some one in a call center that has no answers or solutions. Even when you submit a help ticket it goes nowhere and you never get any response. Have even called to follow up on help and incidents tickets and found that they are still sitting on some supervisor desk that evidently could care less about any thing other than their pay check and union benefits
    Is this the way it's supposed to be ?? Me thinks not.
    I would be very interested to know what other agents have experienced


    ReplyDelete